Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cabbage Pockets

This my recipe I don't really measure I just wing it so I will post as close as I can.
I cook mine in a black spotted turkey roaster pan over 2 burners of my stove and use a cookie sheet for a lid. (mine doesn't have a lid)
You can 1/2 the recipe and adjust to add more cabbage etc.


5 lbs. Hamburger
1 Cup Water
1 Large Head Cabbage or 2 small (chopped)
2 Med Yellow Onions (chopped)
2 Cans Golden Mushroom Soup (I use Campbell's)
Bread Dough to fill
Melted Butter
In a Large fry pan or dutch oven pan break up hamburger add onion and water. Fry hamburger and onion till meat is no longer pink. While this is cooking, chop cabbage into smaller than bite size pieces. When meat is done drain off fat and return to pan. Add cabbage to hamburger mixture and mix together. Cover and cook (steam) on low to medium heat until cabbage is cooked and softened. Stirring as it cooks so it will not stick to bottom or burn. (Add a little water to pan if needed to avoid this) When done add salt & pepper to taste and add soup and stir well. Heat slightly to blend in soup. (Soup adds a beefy flavor and helps to hold mixture together when making pockets.) You don't want the mixture to be too thin. Cool off enough to handle.
Flour counter and roll out bread dough 1/4" thick, use a butter knife or pizza cutter and cut squares 5-6 inches or desired size. Using a large ice cream scoop or spoon put hamburger mixture in center of square. Gather up corners and pinch together entirely to close the bottom completely, so filling stays in pocket. Pick up carefully and put on greased cookie sheet, gathered side down 2 inches apart. Cook 350 degrees 35 - 45 minutes (or 1 hour, I just keep checking while I am putting the others together) or until golden brown and bread is cooked completely. I always cook 2 pans at a time, switching racks as I add more so not to burn bottom. As soon as they come out of oven I brush tops with melted butter and let cool completely on cookie sheets or wire racks. These can be made and frozen and defrosted to reheat later. I wrap individually with plastic wrap to freeze with the date. Yummy!

by Corinne

No comments:

Post a Comment