Friday, March 5, 2010

Mom’s Spaghetti Sauce

This is basically how I make it for the crock pot. You can also do it on top of stove but very slow. It needs to cook slowly for as long as possible.
2 Tab Olive oil
¾ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped green pepper
2 clove garlic
1 – 1 ½ lbs ground beef ( I use ground turkey)
1 can (lg) whole tomatoes (after you dump them in the crock pot you need to smash them up. I use a potato masher)
2 small cans of tomato sauce
2 tsp sugar (I’ve used Splenda)
1 Tabl dried parsley
1 ½ teas salt
1 teas dried oregano
1 teas dried basil
¼ teas pepper
Dash of worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you want it)
I also add some dried Italian seasoning as I think it needs more…not a lot…maybe a teas or so.
Heat oil, add onion, garlic and green pepper. Saute until tender. After this has cooked for awhile, add ground meat. Cook until browned. Drain oil.
In the meantime combine all other ingredients in Crock pot. Add browned meat and simmer for as long as you wish on low. The longer the better.
If you like mushrooms, you can add them after the sauce has cooked for awhile. I’ve also added browned and cut up Italian sausage.

Good luck
by: LindaN in Ocala/FL

No comments:

Post a Comment